You are here

August 14, 2018

August 14, 2018

1. CALL TO ORDER: President, Ms. Judy Kilburg called the meeting of the Sierra Los Pinos Property Owners’ Association to order at 7:16 p.m. at the SLP Fire Station.

2. ROLL CALL: (P-Present, E-excused, A-Absent without notification)

Pres - Judy Kilburg
Water – Peter Veverka

Firewise – Tamera Weary
VP - Harold Corn
Roads – Brian Nelson
Parks/Architectural – Max Otero
Sec/Treasurer - Lorraine Otero
Legal – Judy Kilburg

GUESTS: Suzanne Star, Sondra Cantrell, Barbara Van Ruyckevelt and Mary Moore

3. APPROVAL OF AGENDA: MOTION Ms. Otero made a motion to accept the agenda. Mr. Corn seconded the motion. There were no oppositions.

4. APPROVAL OF THE MINUTES: MOTION: Mr. Otero made a motion to accept the minutes of July 10, 2018. Mr. Veverka seconded the motion. There were no oppositions.

a. President – No report.
b. Vice President – No report.
c. Secretary/Treasurer: Ms. Otero provided the following Monthly Report:

i. The balance in accounts as of July 31, 2018 is as follows:
Operating Account: $126,860.32
Reserve Account: $121,490.72

ii. Past due accounts: We have 20 delinquent accounts totaling $12,694.22. Of these 20 accounts, 5 are in foreclosure or bankruptcy in the amount of $8,477.84. We received word from our attorney that he’s been in discussions with counsel of one our member’s family which happens to be the largest past due account. They have requested to pay the total amount owed in installments until paid in full. Interest will continue to apply and we will hold the lien until paid in full. The remaining 15 delinquent members are all making payments and 7 of the 15 owe very minimal amounts that are attributed to interest.

iii. The July monthly Reserve transfer check in the amount of $666.67 each was deposited into the LANB Reserve account on July 31, 2018.

iv. We have two pending sales estimated to close on 8/13 and 8/17.

v. Two new member packages were issued.

vi. The legal costs for July:

Other Legal Costs: Changed from $959.44 to $2,627.03, an increase of $1,667.59. These costs related to discussion of past due accounts; who has authority to speak to counsel; review of the Water Committee letter and ballot.

Lawsuit Legal Costs: Remain unchanged at $51,949.63.

vii. Letters informing members of the upcoming Annual Meeting were mailed to all members on July 31st. The letter included the ballots with Board nominees to date.

a. Water
i. Water Maintenance – Mr. Veverka said there were no problems this month except that lightning hit Mr. Lisko’s garage and for some reason has made the water murky. Mr. Lisko said the water is the still the same. There is a lot of air coming out of the faucets. Mr. Veverka said the Hovenweep well was re-established and the power pole was accepted. It’s turned on and functioning well. They also put in a pressure relief value that can be turned off when we have to isolate it from the tanks. We still need to adjust the calibration on the switches.

ii. Compliance – Mr. Corn provided the following:

July 2018 Water Compliance-Meter Report

Water System Coliform/Microbiological Reports:
System 1 sample taken by Frank Naranjo, 7/7/18, RT003 136 Mimbres Way
Total Coliform - A
Total E. Coli - A
Disinfected, Residual 0.04 mg/l
System 2 sample taken by Frank Naranjo, 7/7/18, RT007 1514 Los Griegos Rd.
Total Coliform - A
Total E. Coli - A
Disinfected, Residual 0.09 mg/l

Water System Compliance Schedule required by NMED DWB for 2018:
Vernon Trujillo was here on 7/24/18 for Well Sampling. Note, wells must be running, but lightning had shut down Aspen and Hovenweep was not on line yet from our wind event. Not all desired samples were taken but two were taken:
Aspen Well EPA 335.4 Total Cyanide <0.005 mg/L
Hovenweep Well EPA 335.4 Total Cyanide <0.005 mg/L
Well meter readings for July were filed with NMED, 8/13/2018.
One mortgage lending institution (PNMAC) recently requested water compliance and delivery information from SLPPOA. This is new!
Cloudy water issue on Sys 1 Bonito Way will be tested this week by Frank Naranjo, our water operator.

Water System Miscellaneous:
The Hovenweep well is back ON-LINE!
Spare electrical surge protectors have been procured by Dave Schmitt for our two large well level controllers.
A new logon/app for the LevelCon water storage is in progress. Information will be sent out via the list server or newsletter when this is ready.
Water for the recent SLPPOA road contract was supplied from our water system.
We also had a request for water for the SFNF FR10 contractor; 20 loads @$100/2500 gals/load. The board declined to service this request.

Water Usage: Meters were read August 1, 2018, 2018 by Dave Schmitt. Mark Stanley provided and distributed the Readings and Usage reports.
System 1
Wells Pumped 569,332 (702,351) gals, (...last month's data...)
Usage = 294,289 (393,874) gals
Main Line Leakage Rate = 6.2 (7.1) gpm
Leak Flags Identified = 12 (11)
Users > 7,000 gals = 10 (16); highest users = 42,148 gals (leak flag); 12,110 gals (leak flag); 12,060 gals (NO leak flag); 10,610 gals (NO leak flag); 9,271 gals (NO leak flag)
System 2
Well Pumped 467,680 (406,730) gals, (...last month's data...)
Usage = 276,061 (208,832) gals
Main Line Leakage Rate = 4.3 (4.6) gpm
Leak Flags Identified = 5 (5)
Users > 7,000 gals = 5(7); highest users = 100,766 gals (NO leak flag; water service is OFF); 18,618 gals (NO leak flag); 15,782 gals (NO leak flag); 11,332 gals (leak flag); 9,160 gals (NO leak flag)
System 1 Main Line leakage rate is lowest we have seen in over 10 years.

b. Roads – Ms. Kilburg commended the road maintenance work that was done last week and thanked Mr. and Ms. Otero for finding this contractor.

c. Legal –
i. Lawsuit – Ms. Kilburg reported that there hasn’t been any word on the lawsuit.
ii. Restrictive Covenants Violations – Ms. Kilburg said nothing further can be done with one member violation because of the way the covenants for that area are written. Consequently, it falls upon the members that are directly affected by the violation if they wish to pursue. For the other member violation she has started drafting a new letter and will send to the Board for their review in the next few days.
iii. Foreclosure Updates – discussed above in paragraph 5.c.ii.
d. Firewise – Ms. Weary said she checked on the gate at top of High Road going to the forest road. She found out the gate was put in by the Bootzins to keep the cattle out of the neighborhood. The gate is not locked so it would not prohibit us from getting through in the event of a fire.
e. Parks – Mr. Otero said the parks have greened up a bit but not enough to mow yet.
f. Architectural – Mr. Otero reported that he has received a couple of architectural approval requests. The covenants state that the solar panels must be on the back side of the home. He has heard from solar panel companies that there are no covenants that can prohibit use of the solar panels.

Mr. Otero mentioned that now that the roads are in better shape people are speeding through the neighborhood. He will look into getting 15 mph signs to post in the community roads and possibly a stop sign where Los Griegos and FR 10 intersect. Mr. Otero also mentioned that people need to clean the culverts that are at the end of the driveways.

Ms. Star asked if the culverts are in the easement or on private property. Mr. Veverka said that the easement is private property. Mr. Otero said that the culverts are set into the entrances of some of the driveways and are set so that the water runs off and doesn’t damage the road. Mr. Otero said it behooves the person that lives there to keep the culverts clean.

a. Webmaster – Ms. Weary said she got no response from the individual that was going to work on our website. She is making the assumption that he is no longer interested. We will proceed with another option.

b. Sandoval County Cinder/Jersey Bouncer Placement – Ms. Kilburg spoke with Lee Yardman and he thought that all that property at the fire station is Sandoval County property. Ms. Kilburg explained that the Fire Department property is all that the Fire Department owns and the rest is not Sandoval County property. Mr. Yardman is going to look into having the jersey bouncers removed. Ms. Kilburg said she appreciates the fact that they sand FS Road 10. If they have to off load their equipment she understands that but it’s not to be used for storage of their equipment.

c. Appointment of Water Compliance Officer – No volunteers as of yet.

d. Water Delivery Emergency Plan – Ms. Kilburg and Mr. Corn stated nothing has been done.

e. Water Surcharge Committee Proposal/Bylaw Change Meeting – Proposed date for the meeting is September 22, 2018, 2:00 pm.

f. Annual Meeting Nominating Committee Report – Weary – Ms. Weary stated that there are three definite nominees. There may be another couple of individuals interested which may be identified at the meeting.

g. Property Tax Protest Status – Kilburg – Ms. Kilburg reported that she submitted a protest with the County Assessor on four pieces of SLPPOA property that had been assessed $40,000 each. She thanked Mr. Corn, Ms. Otero and Mr. Joe Brophy for their part in helping to locate documents to support the protest. As a result, Ms. Kilburg was successful in reducing the amount for unit 3/lot 16 to $4,076; unit 3/lot 19 to $2,950. Mr. Bob Bootzin also wrote a letter to support the protest. There was not enough documentation for unit 2/lot 16 which was reduced to $21,211. If we can find additional documentation that has the verbiage the County’s looking for we can resubmit the protest. Unit 4/Lot A was reduced to $12,168.

a. Spare Parts (water) – Mr. Veverka said nothing has been done in this regard.

b. Residential water leak flags – Mr. Corn said we are waiting for the Water Surcharge Proposal to be passed and that will be notification in itself.

c. Mgt Company/Accounting Firms Bids – Ms. Kilburg said she spoke with Integrity in Albuquerque. She provided our statement of work. They had a couple of questions which she responded to but hasn’t heard back from them as of yet.

d. Restrictive Covenants – Mr. Veverka said nothing has been done in this regard. Ms. Kilburg will send him an email with historical information.

a. Garbage Collection in SLP – Mr. Corn reported that there’s been word circulating that a new contractor that’s running the County waste site. Thompson Ridge (TR) is working on a dumpster system and Martin and Diane Crane are coordinating that with Universal Waste. He copied them on his request to understand how this works and how we could tap into it. The prices for each TR member is $11.20/month; paying 6 months in advance and the checks are being made out to the Cranes. He believes they have a centralized dumpster location where TR members can dump their waste if they’ve paid their bill. Mr. Corn will continue to gather more information.

b. High Wattage Street-Light Style Light Pollution – Two locations – Mr. Corn said a couple of locations were reported in Unit 1. Unit 1 does not have specific covenant restrictions on outdoor lightening such as Units 4-10. Someone reported that a backyard light is being kept on 24/7. Ms. Kilburg asked if they had spoken with the neighbor and Mr. Corn said yes. Ms. Weary suggested that this be brought up at the annual meeting.

c. Unofficial Member Contact to Contractors, Attorney, Expenditure of SLP Funds –Ms. Kilburg said that this past year people would call contractors, road person, attorney, water person. We need to get the word out that if a member has an issue they need to bring it to the Board. Some of these actions by members are generating costs and the contractors are being overwhelmed with calls.

d. Z. Robinson Request to Discuss Road Drainage – Mr. Robinson did not attend the meeting.

e. S. Cantrell & Son Statement / Phone Calls re: P. Veverka – Mr. Corn asked Ms. Cantrell if she would like to make a statement. Ms. Cantrell declined.


a. Annual Membership Meeting – September 8, 2018; 2:00 p.m. Potluck at 1:00 p.m.

b. Board Meeting - Tuesday, September 11, 2018 at 7:15 pm. Election of Positions (officers & directors) and regular agenda.

12. ADJOURN: MOTION: Ms. Otero motioned to adjourn the open meeting. Mr. Veverka seconded the motion. There were no oppositions. The meeting adjourned at 8:28 p.m.

Delinquent Accounts
Restrictive Covenants Violations

The Executive Session adjourned at 9:09 p.m.

Submitted by: Lorraine Otero