You are here

October 9, 2018

October 9, 2018

1. CALL TO ORDER: President, Ms. Judy Kilburg called the meeting of the Sierra Los Pinos Property Owners’ Association to order at 7:22 p.m. at the SLP Fire Station.

2. ROLL CALL: (P-Present, E-excused, A-Absent without notification)

Pres - Judy Kilburg
Water – Harold Corn
Legal – Paul Rightley
VP - Harold Corn
Water Compliance – Tamara Weary
Firewise – Paul Lisko
Sec/Treasurer - Lorraine Otero
Roads – Dave Stuedell
Parks/Architectural – Max Otero

GUESTS: Suzanne Star and Barbara Van Ruyckevelt

3. APPROVAL OF AGENDA: Ms. Kilburg asked if there were any changes to the agenda. MOTION: Mr. Otero motioned to accept the agenda. Ms. Weary seconded the motion. There were no oppositions.

4. APPROVAL OF THE MINUTES: Ms. Kilburg asked if everyone had a chance to review the minutes from last month. MOTION: Ms. Weary motioned to accept the minutes and Mr. Corn seconded the motion. There were no oppositions.

a. President – No report.
b. Vice President – No report.
c. Secretary/Treasurer:

(1) The balance in accounts as of September 30, 2018 is as follows:
Operating Account: $84,696.08
Reserve Account: $122,844.45

(2) We have 17 delinquent accounts totaling $10,126.01:

-We received a check on the largest delinquent account and that was provided to HOAMCO however, it didn’t get posted prior to September 30th.
-The three remaining bankruptcy/foreclosures were sold and we collected as much as we could on those accounts so the remainder on those three accounts are now considered bad debit in the amount of $3,260.18.
-Two members have not adhered to their payment plans. One of them only owes a little more than $100 but the other member has paid very little. A warning letter was issued to that member.
-A lien was already filed on one member’s property.
-Two other members still owe approximately half of their dues.
-The remaining eight members owe minimal amounts attributed to unpaid interest.

(3) The September monthly Reserve transfer check in the amount of $666.67 was deposited on Sep 11th.

(4) We have two sales pending – one estimated closing is October 15th and the other is estimated to close on November 7th.

(5) Four new member packages were mailed on Sep 29th.

(6) The legal costs to date:

Lawsuit Legal Costs: $51,949.63 remains unchanged
Other Legal Costs: $3,198.13, an increase of $571.11

(7) Ms. Otero will issue a check from the Reserve account to the Operating account in the amount of $13,479.23 to cover the invoice that was paid for the road repair/maintenance done this summer.

(8) Ms. Otero also asked that the Board review the 2018 Annual Meeting minutes and provide input so that she can pass the draft report on to the two non-Board members that volunteered to review the minutes.

a. Water
i. Water Maintenance: Mr. Corn provided the following:

Well meter readings for September were filed with NMED, 10/6/2018.
System 1
Notified a high Sys 1 user they were leaking ~2.3 gpm on 9/11. Further consultation was given on how to repair the leak.
The Hovenweep well chlorinator is back on line (electric relay was replaced 2x-9/12, 9/14).
The Aspen well chlorinator tubing was reconnected by myself on 9/14.
System 2
Levelcon Tank monitor batteries are expired. Lifetime appears to be only ~ 6 weeks. A new more efficient unit has been recommended.

Water System Miscellaneous:
A new logon/app for the LevelCon water storage is in progress. Information will be sent out via the list server or newsletter when this is ready.

Water Usage: Meters were read October 1, 2018, 2018 by Dave Schmitt. Mark Stanley provided and distributed the Readings and Usage reports.
System 1
Wells Pumped 498,242 (600,464) gals, (...last month's data...)
Usage = 234,780 (303,562) gals
Main Line Leakage Rate = 6.1 (6.4) gpm
Leak Flags Identified = 8 (10)
Users > 7,000 gals = 4 (7); highest users = 31,780 gals (NO leak flag); 9,966 gals (leak flag); 7,176 gals (leak flag);
System 2
Well Pumped 359,260 (374,990) gals, (...last month's data...)
Usage = 169,360 (173,366) gals
Main Line Leakage Rate = 4.4 (4.4) gpm
Leak Flags Identified = 6 (7)
Users > 7,000 gals = 5(5); highest users = 16,269 gals (NO leak flag;); 11,152 gals (NO leak flag); 10,618 gals (leak flag); 9,272 gals;

Highest September user for System 2 has increased by ~4000 gals and appears to be intentional as there is no leak flag.

ii. Water Compliance: Ms. Weary provided the following information:
Water System Reports:
System 2:
Haloacetic Acid (HAA5) Testing:
One sample collected on 09/08/18 by Frank Naranjo.
Location: 586 Los Griegos Road; Facility ID: 55423000
Sample was Non-Detect (ND) for all analytes.
System 1:
NMED Laboratory Metals Testing:
Sample collected on 07/24/18
Sampling Point: SP654230021 – Hovenweep Well
All analytes were less than the Minimum Reporting Limit (MRL) with the exception of the following:
Sodium = 14 mg/L
Arsenic = 0.002 mg/L
These values do not equal or exceed the Maximum Contaminant Level (MCL) under the Safe Drinking Water Act (SDWA).

b. Roads – Mr. Stuedell was not available. Ms. Kilburg said that communications have begun for trying to find someone for snow plow removal. Ms. Weary said she approached a member that she thought might be interested but he is not interested and the company that he works for does not do that type of service.

c. Legal – Mr. Kilburg stated that she needs to get Mr. Rightley up to speed with the legal actions. “Other Legal Costs” vs. “Lawsuit Costs” are increasing. The increases are due to the continuous questions and comments regarding the proposed bylaw changes. Ms. Star claims that under NM RA Rule 12-318d, if there’s any change to the bylaws under the appeal prior to the settlement of the lawsuit then the appellate court and SLP counsels will need to be notified. Ms. Kilburg said from what has been read so far it doesn’t appear that way. We’ve got both of our attorneys involved in this review. Legal costs will continue to escalate and it’s unknown when we’ll be able to do a bylaw change. Mr. Corn said he received a call from one member that is extremely frustrated with how long this is taking. Ms. Kilburg said if we continue to get emails in the manner that we do we can’t do it any differently. She offered to talk with the member if they want to talk.

d. Firewise – Mr. Lisko didn’t have anything specific at this time. He said two controlled burns are happening around the area. Someone put in a permit for a burn on their property. Ms. Kilburg said this is all a learning process and welcomed him to the Board.

e. Parks – Mr. Otero said he mowed the parks prior to the annual meeting. He straightened out the shed while he was there. He wants to get together with Mr. Corn to get the inside organized.

f. Architectural – Mr. Otero said he got two requests. One was approved by the Committee. They are planning to put a remanufactured home on the existing foundation. The other is a new member that is getting ready to close and had a few questions. He provided him information on the covenant restrictions.

Ms. Weary said she is having a new garage erected and the foreman is going into business for himself and would like to service our area. Ms. Weary said they do high quality work. She will get the information from him to disseminate.

Again, the issue with speeding through the neighborhood was brought up. It’s dangerous especially in the curved areas of the roads. Suggestions were brought up such as speed limit signs, fish-eye mirrors, and red and blue flashing sign identifying your speed.

a. Webmaster & Listserver Management – Mr. Corn stated at the last meeting that Mr. John Fredlund would take care of the list server and the Google Drive management. He made contact with Jan Studebaker, the previous list server manager. Both he and Mr. Fredlund are now owners of the list server group so that they will not be one deep.

Mr. Corn sent out information about the webmaster to the Board. Mr. Keith McCaslin in Rio Rancho is eager to get going. Mr. McCaslin would like to change the language used on the website to Word Press which is probably a good change to consider. Mr. Corn said regarding the budget, we will need to allow some money to cover the cost for the new webmaster regardless of who we go with. The Board needs to look at this a little closer and we can discuss what we want to do. This will be discussed further at the next meeting.

b. Accounting Firm Status – Ms. Otero met with the prospective accounting firm to discuss specifics. She said the company can pretty much provide everything we need with the exception of the HOA Disclosure statements. Integrity recommended an overlap with our current management company to determine the volume and type of work required. MOTION: Ms. Otero motioned that we obtain services from Integrity Accounting Consultants (IAC) for approximately two months as a trial for IAC to determine the volume of work we require for the purpose of establishing a monthly rate. At the end of two months we will make a determination whether to go with IAC or continue with the current management company. Mr. Otero seconded the motion. There were no oppositions.

c. Water Surcharge Committee Proposal/Bylaw Change Meeting – Ms. Kilburg said this is on hold right now until we hear from the attorneys. Mr. Lisko said he was approached by an upset member who wanted to know where the money collected from surcharges will go. It was discussed that the funds will be tracked by a separate chart of account in the operating budget.

d. Garbage Collection Update – There is no further action on this item and it will be removed from the next agenda.

e. Debit Card - Ms. Kilburg said at the last meeting there was general discussion about obtaining a credit card. However our bylaws require two signatures on expenditures. There is nothing in the bylaws that allow for single signature. What we’ve been doing is making the purchase with our personal credit cards and submitting the receipt for reimbursement. The reimbursement is generally quick.


a. Safety Deposit Box Access Authorization – Ms. Kilburg said she will take last month’s meeting minutes to Los Alamos National Bank and get the current officers authorized to access the safety deposit box and the outdated members removed.

b. Phone Lines on Ashley Lane – Ms. Kilburg said exposed lines is a problem throughout the community. It’s just Windstream in general and they’re not going to do anything about it.

c. Budget – Ms. Kilburg stated we need to look at the proposed budget for 2019. We have many unanswered questions. We have a little time to review and vote on it at the November Board meeting. Ms. Kilburg asked the Board to look at the financials distributed tonight and then the budget so we can be ready to discuss and come up with the budget for 2019.

d. Newsletter – Ms. Kilburg said we typically send out a newsletter with the next year budget to the members. She asked the Board to be thinking about their input to the newsletter.

Ms. Kilburg asked Ms. Van Ruyckevelt if her question regarding a new member was answered. Ms. Van Ruyckevelt said she still has a concern because it appears that more than one family is living on the lot. Ms. Kilburg explained that several members in the past have had more than one RV on the lot while they are building their permanent residence and the precedence has been set. This is only temporary situation while they are building their permanent home.

Ms. Star said she’s noticed that the County is moving the jersey barriers but asked when the sand will be removed. Ms. Kilburg said the sand will remain where it is. The sand was never an issue because the County plows and provides us access on FR10 during the winter months.

10. NEXT MEETING: Tuesday, November 13, 2018, 7:15 p.m.

11. ADJOURN: The meeting adjourned at 9:27 p.m.

Delinquent Accounts

Submitted by: Lorraine Otero